Committed To Giving You The Highest Possible Standards Of Healthcare
JCS Institute of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine is a first of its kind, apex care center in this field, we pioneer in new surgical and diagnostic techniques, and continually upgrade our state-of-the-art technology to ensure that our consultants always have access to the best possible facilities for treatment. We have a team of world-leading Consultants across a range of specialties, most of whom hold or have held substantive consultancy posts within class leading hospitals. The institute boasts of a dedicated team of nurses and technicians working under the able leadership of Professor J C Suri, former Head of Department at VMMC and Safdarjung Hospital, Delhi. Located in the heart of South Delhi with lush green Sanjay Van in the backdrop and the iconic Qutub Miner the building, the institute provides the most conducive environment for faster recovery of patients suffering from respiratory ailments with focused care and patient-centric approach. The institute is empaneled with all major PSUs,
TPAs and provides cashless Mediclaim facility for patient convenience. We aim to be at the forefront of medical excellence and to have led the way in a number of medical specialties.
Scope of Services
An outstanding group of physicians cares for a full spectrum of patients with pulmonary disorders, leading clinical activities centered around our core services of Pulmonary Medicine, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine. Within these core areas, the institute runs programmatic centers of clinical excellence such as the following.
Department of Airway Diseases
COPD is the third leading cause of death in the world today and is on the rise in India due to widespread smoking and increasing air pollution. Bronchial Asthma affects around 15 to 20 million Indians of all ages. The department of airway diseases provides a one-stop solution for all patients with Asthma, COPD, bronchiectasis and Cystic fibrosis. The latest therapies including vaccinations and biological therapies, inhaler technique training and pulmonary rehabilitation help our patients to overcome their illnesses and lead productive lives.
Department of Diffuse Parenchymal Lung Diseases
There is growing recognition of the diffuse parenchymal lung diseases (also called the interstitial lung diseases) which cause significant respiratory difficulties. Our team of expert doctors provides the best available comprehensive care for patients suffering from Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF); Sarcoidosis; Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis; Non-Specific Interstitial Pneumonitis (NSIP); and other ILDs.
Department of Pulmonary Vascular Diseases
These disorders affect the pulmonary vasculature and include pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary thromboembolism. Our team offers optimal care for these patients, including services like right heart catheterization for the diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension and thrombolysis for the management of life-threatening pulmonary thromboembolism.
Department of Infectious Pulmonary Diseases
Tuberculosis continues to remain a relevant public health problem in India in the twenty-first century. There are almost 2 million new cases of tuberculosis in India every year. We are committed to fighting this scourge and have the diagnostic and therapeutic armamentarium for dealing with pulmonary tuberculosis and various forms of extrapulmonary tuberculosis including lymph node and pleural tuberculosis. We also provide treatment for multi-drug resistant tuberculosis.
Department of Interventional Pulmonology
The diagnosis of pulmonary disorders including tuberculosis. sarcoidosis and other interstitial lung diseases, lung cancer and pleural diseases rely heavily on modern diagnostic procedures. We have the facilities and the expertise for performing various pulmonary diagnostic interventions including flexible bronchoscopy, endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) and thoracoscopy which a high diagnostic success rate.
There is rapid development in the field of interventional pulmonology, which offers therapeutic solutions to patients ailing from central airway obstruction, tracheal stenosis, and hemoptysis. We provide services including rigid bronchoscopy, airway stenting, electrocautery, balloon bronchoplasty and thermal vapor ablation. Bronchial thermoplasty is a new technique which is available for the management of severe asthma which is refractory to other forms of management
Department of Thoracic Oncology
We offer diagnostics and therapeutics for all lung and pleural malignancies through a multi-disciplinary program that brings together pulmonologists, medical oncologists, thoracic surgeons, radiation oncologists, radiologists, nuclear radiologists, and pulmonary pathologists.
Department of Sleep Cure & Sleep Medicine
The first sleep center in India was established in the year 1990 by Dr. J C Suri, hence introducing the field of clinical sleep medicine in the country. We have the most experienced team in the management of sleep disorders in India. We have a multi-specialty comprehensive program dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders in children and adults. The department is comprised of specialists in pulmonary medicine. ENT surgery, Dental surgery, Psychiatry, Clinical Psychology, Neurology and Pediatrics to provide holistic, multi-disciplinary care to patients suffering from sleep disorders. These include:
- Sleep Disorder Breathing Program
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: OSA is a major public health problem and affects around 5% of men and 2% Of women in India. It presents as snoring and excessive daytime sleeping, resulting in sleep disturbance, impaired quality of life and daytime functioning and increased risk of cardiovascular diseases including heart attack and stroke.
- Central Sleep Apnea and Cheyne Stokes Breathing
- Hypoventilation disorders
- Insomnia Program: The adverse effects of sleep deprivation are well recognized and include impaired Performance and increased risk for several illnesses. Our team will help you find a cause for the inability to sleep and help you overcome the same.
- Parasomnia: Sleepwalking, sleep talking, bedwetting and several other related behavioral disorders are dealt with in our parasomnia program.
- Narcolepsy: This is a condition characterized by sleep attacks, wherein brief of sleep intrude into a person's daytime activities and hence impede on social and professional activities. We provide diagnostic services and offer the latest therapeutic modalities for this condition.
- Pediatric Sleep Disorder Program: Sleep disorders in children can lead to paired school performance and adverse long-term cognitive and health effects. If your child suffers from insomnia, night terrors, nightmares, snoring or other sleep disturbances then we provide the necessary remedial measures to help your child achieve her/his potential.
- Restless leg syndrome: It is a common cause for sleeplessness characterized by an irresistible urge to move the legs. We provide evidence-based solutions for restless leg syndrome.
- Circadian rhythm disorders: These include defects of the body clock. Delayed sleep phase syndrome is commonly observed in the young and is characterized by late-night bedtimes and inability to get up early This leads to sleep deprivation owing to early school and office timings. Advanced sleep phase syndrome affects the elderly and is characterized by early sleep-times which interfere with evening social activities and early morning awakenings. With increasing globalization and cross-continent air travel, jet lag is affecting more people than ever before. We offer help for these conditions to enable optimal functioning at work. school and social functions.
- Sleep Studies: We offer both in-lab technicians attended polysomnography (PSG) with positive airway pressure (PAP) titration and portable (home-based) sleep studies for patients suffering from obstructive sleep apnea. We also provide in-lab sleep studies such as video-PSG for parasomnias and multiple sleep latency tests (MSLT) for the diagnosis of narcolepsy.
Department of Pulmonary Function Testing
We have the latest equipment for performing pulmonary function tests for the diagnosis of a variety of conditions, and to assess the level of disability due to pulmonary diseases. These tests include spirometry with bronchodilator reversibility, body plethysmography, diffusion study, impulse oscillometer, and arterial blood gas analysis. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing enables to determine the presence of cardiac and respiratory disease in a patient suffering from dyspnea.
Department of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Patients with chronic lung diseases often have co-existent physical deconditioning. In order to enable patients with the pulmonary disease to live active lifestyles, it is important to build up their exercise capacity. Our department of pulmonary rehabilitation has trained physiotherapists who will guide the patients through endurance training and breathing exercises. Our center is equipped with state-of-the-art treadmill and hand and leg ergometer. We also provide chest physiotherapy services and cough assist devices for patients with chronic productive cough.
Department of Critical Care
Our team of highly qualified and efficient doctors provides round-the-clock care for critically ill patients. We have a multi-disciplinary team of intensivists, critical care nurses and respiratory therapists for 24X7 delivery of intensive care. Our ICU is equipped with advanced critical care ventilators, monitors, dedicated NIV machines, bedside echo, and lung ultrasound and extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) in order to provide world-class care.
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Lung Transplantation
Thoracic surgery including video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) and open thoracotomy are used to treat various disorders including early-stage lung cancer, pleural disorders, and mediastinal masses. VATS may also be used to obtain a biopsy of lung tissue in order to diagnose challenging cases of diffuse parenchymal lung disease. We have a trained thoracic surgery team to provide comprehensive medical and surgical care for such patients. Lung transplantation is currently in its infancy in India. We intend to develop a lung transplant program including advanced COPD, DPLD, and pulmonary vascular disease.
Academics, Training and Research Division
With professor J C Suri, a "teacher of the teachers" at the helm with over 34 years' of experience in teaching and his team of DM trained pulmonologists, our mission is to improve the standard of education in pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine. We aim to provide IDCCM - course in critical care medicine, FSM - Fellowship in Sleep Medicine and Critical Care Nursing and Polysomnography technician training programs. In addition, we plan to conduct certificate courses for physicians in sleep medicine, asthma, and COPD. We also intend to conduct certificate courses for technologists in polysomnography and pulmonary function tests.